The first full day of the Republican National Convention lasted about 33 seconds, then went into recess in anticipation of Tropical Storm Isaac. The real festivities are now scheduled to begin tomorrow. Here are some stories we discussed at the Last Word rundown meeting today:
- Can Mitt Romney show he's more than a politician?
- GOP details huge Medicare change in leaked platform
- Republican Senate candidate: Out-of-wedlock pregnancy like rape
- Sen. Olympia Snowe on how the GOP can mend its image among women
- Romney suggests Obama welfare waivers are a tactic to 'shore up his base'
- Krugman on Chris Christie and Paul Ryan: 'The comeback skid'
- Cain, Bachmann focus on Obama, not Romney, in Tampa tea party rally
- Rep. Allen West says Obama is serving America a 'crap sandwich with a smile'
- Despite mixed signals on immigration, Republicans vow to appeal to Latinos