What a crazy December it's been! It's hard to believe Christmas is upon us, and 2011 is right around the corner (I'm really not used to typing that number yet). The Last Word will be taking a short hiatus for the holidaze (we're back January 3rd).
There may be some blogging done next week as some members of our staff will be around, but for now - we're going to take a break to be with our families and friends, and we sincerely hope you're able to do the same.
We have to say thank you to all of you for helping the show start with such a bang. The response in just the few months we've been on the air so far has been amazing. You all seem to really love the show. We love bringing you the show... so that's definitely a win-win.
We also want to take one last opportunity to remind about our KIND fund with UNICEF. In an incredible display of generosity, as of the time I'm writing this on December 23rd, we've raised $1,011,916. That's right... over $1 million in a week. That is so much more than we could have ever hoped for, so a huge thanks from everyone here at The Last Word for all those donations. We're all really at a loss for words adequate enough to express our gratitude. And please keep those donations coming! You can learn more and find out how to donate by clicking right here (or call 1-800-FOR-KIDS). You can also see Lawrence's initial report about bringing these desks to the schools of Malawi by clicking here. And if you still need a last minute gift for someone who has everything... you can even make a donation to the KIND fund as a gift in someone else's name.
So as we take a break, I leave you with the usual linktastic list for when you need a break from the relatives and the egg nog. Thanks again for watching, we hope you enjoy the holiday season, and wish you all the best for 2011.
- We featured this in Thursday's Rewrite, but it's worth showing again - Conan O'Brien rewrites Rudolph
- Conan also featured a choir singing some almost-familiar Christmas carols
- And in case you were wondering... here's the story behind Conan's Christmas decorations which include a giant inflatable chicken sandwich (OK... enough Conan)
- What does your favorite Christmas movie say about you?
- A look at 20 things that became obsolete in the past decade
- This holiday break considering trying a new recipe... maybe chicken spaghetti!!
- Now we know how Santa's reindeer fly so high
- Is your DVR already set for the Doctor Who Christmas special? Mine is!!
- The evolution of holiday lights over the years
- While it's not as good as that amazing OK GO video... this is a pretty fun way to put marshmallows in your cocoa
- The best new webcomics of 2010
- A holiday classic... This American Life's "Christmas and Commerce" episode that brought us the definitive David Sedaris Christmas story of his time working at Macy's as an elf
- A close second... This American Life's "A Very Special Sedaris Christmas" episode with some other hilarious holiday tales
- I also love comedian Jim Gaffigan's take on Christmas traditions
- It was a good year to eat your way through Los Angeles
- 2010's must-see movies... did you see 'em all?
- Entertainment Weekly ranks the top ten TV shows of the year (what... where's The Last Word?) and then gives us 11-20 just for fun
- Paste Magazine ranks to the top 25 music videos of 2010
- Speaking of music, here's some of your favorite musicians dressed as Santa
- What were your favorite musicians listening to in 2010?
- If you love snark with your egg nog, you'll like Lewis Black's take on Christmas
- How Google can figure out what you want to wear next year
- Time lapse video shows the Milky Way in all its majesty flickering over Lake Tahoe
- So I didn't get in trouble for live-tweeting jury duty... but I'm not Steve Martin
- I don't know who Chris is, but his notes asking New Yorkers for favors are hysterically funny
Again, thanks to everyone for watching. We'll be back on the air January 3rd to cover the new Congress and everything else that 2011 will bring (including the inevitable start of the 2012 presidential race!!). Happy Holidays!